About Me

I am a married gal. I love the outdoors! I absolutely love going on road trips. My favorite state is GA. I have 2 tattoos. I love drums+music. Polar Pops are a must have. Church is very important to me. I am an aunt to only 4 legged animals; which I love but I hate.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wilson's disease

I decided to research more on Wilson's disease. It actually turned out to be something interesting to possibly look for, and I say this because Wilson's disease is actually genetic. It is a disease in which a person's body does not properly dispose of copper; it in facts stores too much of it. Wilson's disease occurs in about 1 in 30,000 individuals. This disease is a recessive gene, so as we learned in Mrs. Titzer's class both parents must carry this recessive gene in order to pass it on to their child.


There are quite a few symptoms that can evolve from this disease. They usually become more noticeable in teen years, however they may start as a child. Symptoms caused from copper build up can include hepatitis (which an MRI image is displayed to the left), depression, loss of appetite, fatigue, swelling of the abdomen, tremors (later in life), jaundice, etc. The problems caused from the disease usually begin in the liver, however if left untreated, may work itself through the bloodstream and may affect the brain in serious cases.

An individual with Wilson's disease


Although there is no cure for this disease because it is genetic, there are definitely plenty of useful treatments. One treatment to take would be zinc acetate. In this medication the zinc blocks the absorption of the copper, which in a person with Wilson's disease would not normally be able to do. Another treatment would be to take a medication called, D-penicillamine, which again attaches to the copper. This prevents the abnormal absorption and storage of copper. This medication allows the person to excrete the copper into their urine. Individuals with Wilson's disease do need to stay away from foods that contain high amounts of copper such as chocolate, mushrooms, and shellfish. Hopefully an individual seeks treatment because without treatment, this can be a serious disease, however with treatment a person can live a fairly normal life.


No comments:

Post a Comment